Thirty years ago David Harraden had a vision to create an eco adventure center in Everglades City. He offers travelers an opportunity to experience this harsh and unique environment safely. His goal has always been to provide a memorable and pleasant vacation to travelers who pass through the Ivey House doors through his company, North American Canoe Tours (NACT). Over the years NACT has grown from being a small, local paddle trip operator to housing Everglades City's top-rated Inn and Activity as judged by world-wide users of the very popular travel resource website, TripAdvisor.com.
- 1979: NACT acquired a Commercial Use Permit to be able to operate within the Everglades National Park and Big Cypress Preserve, providing day and overnight guided canoe and kayak adventure for those who desired local knowledge and expertise. This evolved to include canoe, kayak, and equipment rentals. Striving to reciprocate the use of the area, NACT has assisted with park clean-ups, volunteer work and also provided the materials for Everglades National Park's Sunday Bay Chickee in 1991.
- 1980: NACT began providing canoe adventures on the Connecticut River in CT, the Allagash River in ME, and the Suwannee River in GA and FL.
- 1982: NACT became the State of Connecticut concessionaire providing canoes and paddle boat rentals at six state parks throughout the state.
- 1984: NACT was approached by the State of Connecticut Parks Department to operate the tubing concession at the Satan's Kingdom State Recreational area. After a successful bid process, NACT began operating the Farmington River Tubing in the spring of 1985. An aggressive marketing campaign, a well trained staff and public enjoyment have increased sales and led to a renewed concession contract. NACT has continued as the tubing concessionaire for the last 27 summers!
- 1989: NACT purchased the Ivey House located in Everglades City, Florida and turned it into a popular Bed & Breakfast. Keeping the old boarding house atmosphere, the rooms were simple with shared bathrooms.
- 2001: After eleven years of increased occupancy, an addition was added to the Ivey House B & B. The addition includes eighteen upscale guest rooms with private bathrooms, TV, refrigerators and phones; a restaurant, gift shop, adventure desk and a screened courtyard which houses a beautiful tropical pool and waterfall area: the only screened and heated pool in the area. In this sub-tropical paradise - which sometimes experiences very warm weather and seasonal times with lots of mosquitos - we are surely the best "oasis" in the area!
- 2007: The Ivey House continues to expand its presence as it begins offering lodging and guided kayak tours on a year-round basis, continuing to attract visitors from around the world who wish to explore the beautiful Florida Everglades. During the busy "winter" season, we offer guided kayak trips into the heart of the Everglades three times each day, and in the other months of the year we offer one morning trip each day.
- 2011: The Ivey House and EvergladesAdventures.com celebrates having firmly established itself as the top-rated activity and Inn of the Everglades City area, according to the wildly popular international travel review site "TripAdvisor.com". We also continue to reign as the only AAA rated property in the area, and are proud to be Fodor's only "Fodor's Choice" property anywhere in or around Everglades National Park.
For more than thirty years, North American Canoe Tours has attracted qualified personnel and has devoted time to ensuring the superior training and development of our lodging staff and naturalist guides. Our talented staff helps to create awareness and cultivate appreciation for the beautiful Everglades area by offering guests extensive information and undivided attention while they enjoy their Everglades adventures.
North American Canoe Tours and the Harraden family are leaders in eco-tourism in the surrounding areas of Everglades City and on Connecticut's Farmington River, where we're proud and happy to provide visitors from around the world safe, enjoyable and memorable vacations. We hope to see you soon!